Author Topic: touching forehead?  (Read 829 times)

Offline zaida

• View Profile
touching forehead?
« on: December 14, 2012, 10:41:34 am »
Hi everyone - For some reason, during my whole year of religious instruction, I never asked my priest the following: what is it, during the mass, where people make a motion on their foreheads? Its not the sign of the cross - during a specific part of the mass theres almost a circular motion? Here I am, a Roman Catholic (I cant get enough of saying that!) and I don't know what this motion is.

Offline David W. Emery

• Forum Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: touching forehead?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 10:59:37 am »
You don’t say in what part of the Mass this occurs, but I’m guessing you are referring to the gesture that the priest (and in imitation some in the congregation) makes when the proclamation of the Gospel is announced. At this point, the priest makes a small sign of the cross on his forehead with his thumb, on his lips and on his heart, saying, “May the Lord be in my heart and on my lips that I may worthily proclaim the Gospel.” This is actually the priest’s prayer and sign; it is not in the rubrics for the people to copy his action.

David

Offline Ruth Martin

• Forum Moderator
  • Administrator
  • When I can, I quilt, run, swim and hike!
    • View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 11:00:06 am »
Zaida,

are you talking about when the Gospel is about to be read?  If it is, then people are making a tiny cross on their foreheads, their lips, and their hearts.  By doing so, you are signifying, "Jesus, write your words in my mind, on my lips and in my heart."

I hope this helps!

Blessings,

Ruth
"To fall in love with God is the greatest of all romance; to seek Him, the greatest adventure; to find Him, the greatest human achievement."

--St. Augustine of Hippo

Offline zaida

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 11:13:32 am »
Thank you David and Ruth, that is exactly what I mean. Much appreciated! 

Offline allenirvan

• OKie Catholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 04:52:42 pm »
I once observed a priest make that sign very slow and prayerfully; it is a quite beautiful prayer, one of my favorite parts of the Mass.

Offline zaida

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 11:44:03 am »
I'm happy to say I have the hang of this now! That sounds beautiful allinervan - the Priest doing it slowly an deliberately.