Author Topic: Jeremiah 1:5 ("Before I formed you in the womb I knew you")  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Christine Ann

• Lutheran, Baptist, Catholic May 15 2007
    • View Profile
Jeremiah 1:5 ("Before I formed you in the womb I knew you")
« on: December 13, 2009, 09:41:03 pm »
Hello everyone,

The scripture of Jer. 1:5 reads as follows:

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I dedicated you, a prophet to the nations I appointed you."

This was God's call of Jeremiah to be a prophet.  What I'm wondering, is this scripture an example where Christ trancends time and space?  Could He have known us before we were born?  It seems possible to me.  Will we be able to transcend time and space in our glorified bodies? and thus be witness to biblical happenings outside our time here on earth.  Could we actually witness  the Last Supper, when we enter eternity?

Weird questions I know...Perhaps truth hidden to us in this earthly life.  We do "see darkly" now...

Now remember, "there are no stupid questions" to be asked here!!   ;)

In Christ Jesus,
Christine Ann

Offline Pani Rose

• View Profile
Re: A puzzling scripture
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 10:48:02 pm »
If this helps any, in the Byzantine Churches - Catholic or Orthodox - the icon of the Last Supper is always above the Royal Doors, and there are several reasons for it.  The front of the icon - before the table is always empty.  The main one is we are there; we were there.  We come to receive Christ at his Table. 

Christ knew us before we were created in our mother's womb.
The LORD, your God, is in your midst, a warrior who gives victory; he will rejoice over you with gladness, he will renew you in his love.   (Zephaniah 3:17)

Pani Rose

Offline David W. Emery

• Forum Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 11:18:48 pm »
Hi Christine,

According to the nature of eternity and the glory of heaven, at least as we currently understand them, I believe that the answer to your question is: Yes, assuming we make it to heaven, our glorified bodies as well as our souls will transcend both time and space, and we will be able, the will of God allowing, to see everything that ever happened on earth as immediately present, just as God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) does.

David

Offline Christine Ann

• Lutheran, Baptist, Catholic May 15 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 06:16:16 pm »
Oh! My!  This is awsome to consider. Rose, thank you for the icon.  How utterly wonderful that, if we get to heaven, our bodies will be like His, able to transcend time and space.  We will know the entirety of God's Plan if He wills it so.  Just incredible!!!  No wonder I longed so deeply for the Eucharist before I could receive it.  A Holy Communion...something for which the Holy Spirit gave me such a desire...that I literally cried for it, not knowing it would bring me to the Catholic Church.

Eternity...I can only imagine.  God is doing great things in my life.  When I read my Bible, I can actually imagine myself present at all the "stories" I have heard since childhood.  Why would anyone trade life eternal...truth... for all the world's "treasure"?

Thank you, David and Rose.  I have much to meditate about now...

In Christ Jesus,
Christine Ann

Offline Pani Rose

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 07:05:17 am »
Christine Ann this is part of one of the prayers prayed by the priest during the Divine Liturgy

Broken and distributed is the Lamb of God; broken but never divided; ever eaten, yet never consumed, but hallowing those who partake.
(The Divine Liturgy of St John Chrysostom)

I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. Now they know that everything you have given me is from you; for the words that you gave to me I have given to them, and they have received them and know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. I am asking on their behalf; I am not asking on behalf of the world, but on behalf of those whom you gave me, because they are yours. All mine are yours, and yours are mine; and I have been glorified in them. And now I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one, as we are one.
(John 17:6-11)

Communion of the Church received, can come only from being grafted into the Body of Christ through it's Holy Mysteries of the Sacramental life of the Church through Baptism, Chrismation, and reception of the Holy Eucharist.  Jesus said the Holy Spirit the Paraclete would always be with us to guide us, and he has.

I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own, but will speak whatever he hears, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me, because he will take what is mine and declare it to you. All that the Father has is mine. For this reason I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.
(John 16:12-15)

Through faith we believe that these Truths of God are essential in our theosis - sharing in the life of Christ.
The LORD, your God, is in your midst, a warrior who gives victory; he will rejoice over you with gladness, he will renew you in his love.   (Zephaniah 3:17)

Pani Rose