Author Topic: Is it OK to go Fishing on Sunday  (Read 3898 times)

Offline John

• View Profile
Is it OK to go Fishing on Sunday
« on: July 11, 2010, 02:33:50 pm »
We was talking and this came up: Is it Ok to go fishing on Sunday?

Offline David W. Emery

• Forum Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Is it OK to go Fishing on Sunday
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 02:50:00 pm »
If you also make provision for attending Mass, yes, it’s OK. Most parishes offer a Saturday vigil Mass, and some offer a Sunday evening Mass, so it’s not difficult to plan a Sunday fishing excursion.

David

Offline Candlemass

• Catholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 05:15:56 pm »
Sounds pretty fishy to me!  :D

Offline David W. Emery

• Forum Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 05:32:10 pm »
You have to catch one first, Mark!

Offline Dave Armstrong

• Network Apologist
  • Arminian, Baptist-like Evangelical; Catholic: 1990
    • View Profile
    • Biblical Catholicism (booksite)
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 02:08:49 pm »
Fishing is a recreational activity and that is what the Sabbath is about (before or after mandatory church attendance, of course; but Saturday Mass would work out best). It is meant to be a day of rest. I try to abstain from work, though in my case I love my work (apologetics, this forum) so much that for me it usually doesn't even seem like work and is about as pleasurable as playing softball (as I did yesterday) and other fun activities.
My blog,  Biblical Evidence for Catholicism, contains 2500+ papers & 50+ separate web pages. I'm a full-time author / apologist. Also two Facebook pages and a Twitter account. Over 40 books of mine are available in ePub /  mobi ($4.99), & PDF ($1.99) formats; also 15 free radio interviews. Info. & instant purchase at:
http://www.biblicalcatholicism.com/

Online Steven Barrett

• One day a Prince of the Church flew into my yard.
    • View Profile
    • Natures's Heirlooms
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 03:29:36 pm »
Dumdum, dumdum d'dm, dm,d,d,d,dummmmmmmmm ... If that's your idea of the kind of bait you're looking  for ... make sure you get to Confession and Mass before going out on the water, especially off any of those small islands off the New England shores where the people who go to be seen by those who want to be seen watching those people. But in the meantime, who's watching their kids while sunnin' themselves on the beach?

JAWS IS! WIth apolgies to Jimmy Buffett and Alan Jackson, it's always "Five O'Clock Fish Gulp Somewhere" for JAWS. "Fins to the left, fins to the right ...." GULP!  :P (UP in Maine I heard there's Th' Man-Eatah Lobstah called, ... well, I'll bet you guessed it by now. ;D)
"It is the beautiful task of Advent to awaken in all of us memories of goodness and thus to open the doors to hope."

(Then Cardinal Ratzinger, Reflections at Advent: Memory Awakens Hope … Seek That Which Is Above, Ignatius Press, p. 112)

Offline Candlemass

• Catholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 04:00:20 pm »
How you gonna have all those Friday fish fry dinners w/out someone fishin'?  :D

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 08:31:18 pm »
You have that right!

Don't you know we are call to be Fisherman for the Lord.

Offline Pani Rose

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 10:09:21 pm »
Don't tell our grandson he can't fish on Sunday  ;)  That is when he caught his first bass - 4 1/2#.  Then his other grandad, who decided he should try fishing with a cane pole - he has been using a rod and reel since he started last year - he said to him 'Pawcka that's boring'. 

Oh Marley is only four years old, but very mature and tall for his age.
The LORD, your God, is in your midst, a warrior who gives victory; he will rejoice over you with gladness, he will renew you in his love.   (Zephaniah 3:17)

Pani Rose

Online Steven Barrett

• View Profile
    • Natures's Heirlooms
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 11:37:56 pm »
My parents must've felt they had the "distinction" of raising the only three boys in the entire Catholic world who wouldn't eat fish. We couldn't stand the smell when we were kids and I still can't! But, having said that, it never stopped me from appreciating that others do and they've done a wonderful job of building nice places in the world for landlubbers like myself, my wife and our kids ... all natives of western Massachusetts. (No, I'm thinking of the Cape, south of that eastern "greater" Bogstown metro area. It's Maine I have in mind. And If I ever had a dime for all the dirty looks I got from people who couldn't believe I was a non-fish-eating Catholic from MA, but worse, one who "lived near the Kennedys, of course,small state, Right? who didn't eat fish. And to boot, I had a partial Southern accent!  BUT...THANK GOD FOR tuna fish ... THAT WAS OUR TASTE BUD'S EXCEPTIONAL ALLOWANCE.  LANDLUBBIN' CATHOLICS FROM DAIRY COUNTRY UNITE!   ;D
"It is the beautiful task of Advent to awaken in all of us memories of goodness and thus to open the doors to hope."

(Then Cardinal Ratzinger, Reflections at Advent: Memory Awakens Hope … Seek That Which Is Above, Ignatius Press, p. 112)

Offline DrDave

• Catholic since I was 10 (Days that is)
    • View Profile
    • The Aussie Apologist
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 12:02:07 am »
I've got that album ;D but I love 'Hi infidelity' better, though my wife made me promise no infidelity ;)

Regards Doc
NB: 'DrDave' is a nickname from college not an indication of academic achievement.

Offline Ruth Martin

• Forum Moderator
  • Administrator
  • When I can, I quilt, run, swim and hike!
    • View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 12:45:57 pm »
I'm coming to this lately, but my parents taught that the Sabbath, that is now our Sundays, was created for us to "pray and to play."  Seems to me that Fishing is definitely both, so not a bad thing  :P  Just be careful not to exaggerate too much about what you caught!

Blessings,

Ruth
"To fall in love with God is the greatest of all romance; to seek Him, the greatest adventure; to find Him, the greatest human achievement."

--St. Augustine of Hippo

Online Steven Barrett

• View Profile
    • Natures's Heirlooms
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 05:06:58 pm »
When I attended Biscayne College in Miami, the Dolphins used my campus for its training and practice camp. Who cared about Notre Dame; we had the Dolphins, which during my junior year set the only undefeated season record. STILL, as one prof of mine (also from a town upriver from where I'm living) you can take the boy out of New England but not the New England out of the boy ... so I rooted for the Patriots to beat the H..L out of the "fins" every time for years, especially when I was down in college and even attended a slaughter of the Pats, on a Sunday, no less. (But, the Dolphins were my chief back up team to root for when the Pats flubbed. That meant a lot of Dolphin rooting years.  Well, I've long left the campus, my old heroes are old and can barely walk, Don Shula who used to eat with the students, not the team, is now selling weight-loss stuff with his old quarter back Dan Marino and the Pats have gone on to win more Super Bowls than Miami. Ahhhh, if they only beat NY. Sure YOU CAN FISH ON SUNDAYS, BUT MAKE SURE YOU WEAR PADS AND HAVE A  PACE MAKER IF YOU DON'T WANT YOUR HEART BROKEN.

Offline Don S.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 01:39:56 pm »
Way back when I was an altar boy and there were no Saturday evening Masses, they had a 5:30 AM Mass on Sundays nick-named "The Fisherman's Mass."

Offline PUDDLEGLUM57

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 04:39:35 pm »
Sounds pretty fishy to me!  :D

I think you fell for that one hook, line, and sinker!! ;D

(Sorry, just a little Protestant levity here! ;))