2 replies, 2 voices Last updated by  Katherine 2 months, 1 week ago
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Katherine
    Participant
    @cosbap

According to the Talmud there is no eating or drinking in heaven. Instead, people will feast on the vision of God. Is this true, does the church agree with Jewish tradition?

Jennie1964
    @Jennie1964

I have no idea what the official answer is to that question. Christ, while glorified, broke bread and ate fish with his disciples, so a glorified and risen body CAN eat. There is a passage in Revelation 22 that speaks about the tree of life with its 12 different types of fruit which grow each month so it sounds as if there is food in the New Jerusalem. Jesus himself speaks in Matthew 8 of many coming from all over to recline at the table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. Are these literal or allegorical? I don’t know. It also says somewhere that we will never hunger or thirst, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we will not eat, just that there will be no need for it.

I have a hard time believing that something as important as eating (not the physical act but more the act of fellowship that goes with it) will be eradicated. Our entire Mass is centered around eating and drinking! Several times when Christ appeared after the Resurrection he offered them food and in fact they sometimes only recognized him when he broke that bread. Obviously that is an allusion to the Last Supper and the future Mass, but still, I think it is a valid point. Hospitality includes food and drink and if nothing else, heaven will be a very hospitable place. 🙂

Katherine
    Participant
    @cosbap

You make some interesting points, thank you. I like the idea of feasting on the vision of God, of the presence of God fulfilling every desire. But what you say about most people finding eating intrinsic to community is undeniable.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.