5 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  Katherine 1 week, 3 days ago
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Katherine
    Participant
    @cosbap

How old is the practice of consecration to Mary? I assumed it is a recent invention but Wikipedia says it has origins in the fourth century, then developed into the current practice with de Montfort et al. Is this correct?

David W. Emery
    Keymaster
    @David W. Emery

Yes, that is correct. People are often surprised at how ancient devotion to Mary actually is, but the documentation is there for anyone who cares to peruse it. When I tell a non-Catholic that we have archeological evidence for liturgical prayers to Mary dating from the 3rd century in Egypt, he is usually incredulous and wants proof. In fact, the find has been published numerous times, with pictures, since it was first made public around the year 1990. But the diggings date back decades earlier than that.

David

Jennie1964
    @Jennie1964

That prayer from the 3rd century, is it the Sub Tuum?  That and the very old paintings of Mary in the catacombs were some of the convicting factors for me that the Church was who she claimed to be.

David W. Emery
    Keymaster
    @David W. Emery

Yes, Jennie, that is the one. Unsurprisingly, it was known in medieval times and is still used today as a traditional prayer. In fact, since the archeological discovery, it has become rather popular.

Jennie1964
    @Jennie1964

I think based upon the Pope’s request, our bishop has instituted this prayer as well as the St Michael prayer to be said in all the parishes in our diocese at the end of Mass for at least this year.  I think that is a good thing. If Mary’s Son is Jesus and we are His Body, then she is also our Mother.

Katherine
    Participant
    @cosbap

It was so surprising to me to discover the historical roots of Catholic devotions that I had been told were medieval inventions.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.